About Twinkle House
Twinkle House is a Registered Charity providing free support sessions for children and young people with Disabilities and Additional Needs 0-19 years. Our priority area for children’s support is West Lancashire. We also provide a range of sensory rooms and Hydrotherapy Pool available for all ages and abilities;
Our aim is to improve the health and wellness of communities in North West England, covering Lancashire, Sefton, Wigan, St Helens, Greater Manchester and Merseyside.
Our services for Children and Young people 0-19 include:
- Personalised 1:1 support sessions with our Learning Disability Nurse/Social Worker
- Sleep Counselling Support with our Sleep Practitioner
- Therapeutic Dance, Yoga and Mindfulness classes with our Trained Dance Teacher/Relax Kids Coach
- Through our work we support children, young people and carers with strategies and emotional support
- We are a trusted training ground for Edge Hill University student Social Workers who may be in/take sessions
Our services for families include:
- Connecting families through group sessions and community café hub
- Advice, signposting (where necessary) and emotional support
- Family Sensory Play
- Family Hydrotherapy
- Carer sensory relaxation
- Carer Hydrotherapy relaxation
Our facilities for the whole community benefit include:
- Sensory Rooms (x3)
- Hydrotherapy Pool
- Dance and Yoga Studio (also used as a Disco room for parties)
- Therapy/Consulting room available for hire by Therapists/Consultants
History of Twinkle House
In the year 2000, frustrated by the lack of services available to their children with special needs, a group of parents and West Lancashire Council for Voluntary Services carried out a consultation that identified the need for these services in West Lancashire were far greater than they expected. To this end, the group set about securing funding and premises to help fulfil this unmet need and so, Twinkle House was born.
Opening its doors on 4th May 2004, Twinkle House has provided 1:1 practical and emotional support to hundreds of children and families each year.
During support sessions, families would express their identified needs and wishes and regularly spoke of requiring accessible hydrotherapy and sensory rooms for safe recreational or therapeutic use for their children. Due to overwhelming need, Twinkle House sought out funds to relocate to larger premises so that they could provide all essential needs under one roof.
Families’ needs were realised in May 2014 when the new, larger, Twinkle House opened; expanding its area to North West England and providing many more opportunities to support families and their children. The much requested sensory rooms are now available for safe recreation and personalised activities, and the hydrotherapy pool is open for therapy and water-based activities. Both facilities are now available for use by children and adults in the wider community.
A relaxing Café area is available for the whole community to make us of. Serving hot and cold drinks and light snacks Monday to Saturday. Families using the centre can unwind, chat, make friends and self-support here in our calm, friendly atmosphere.